June 29, 2021
OCALA, FL, — Area residents, local officials and business leaders were present as Ocala Health leadership broke ground today to celebrate their latest expansion at Ocala Regional Medical Center. This $65M project will add over 49,091 square feet of new space and renovate 9,976 square feet of existing space.
Ocala Health is one of the largest employers in the Ocala Metro area with more than 2,600 colleagues and 600 physicians serving families in multiple counties. This latest investment by Ocala Health brings their five-year capital investment to a total of nearly $365M.
This latest project will include the below expansions at Ocala Regional Medical Center:
- Addition of 36 inpatient beds, bringing the total to 323 inpatient beds. These 36 beds will create a new, dedicated Neuro ICU which will include a 10-bed Neuro ICU, a 10-bed Neuro step-down, and a 16-bed general med/surg. unit. This unit is scheduled to open in Q3 of 2022.
- Addition of five CV procedural suites (two cath labs, two electrophysiology suites, one hybrid OR)
- Renovation of current dining space and laboratory department
This announcement comes less than two months after breaking ground on a $33M expansion project on the West Marion campus to include:
- 36-bed inpatient rehabilitation unit, bringing the total to 222 inpatient beds once project is completed
- Expansion of ED, including addition of six low-acuity beds
- Additional parking
At the completion of these most recently announced projects, Ocala Health will have grown to 545 beds across both campuses.
Since 2017, Ocala Health has made the following investments totaling more than $300M. These projects include:
- Renovated and expanded emergency departments at ORMC and WMCH with the addition of 20 ED beds between both hospitals, bringing the total to 62 ED rooms across both campuses
- Addition of eight operating suites between both hospitals, bringing the total to 10 operating suites at WMCH and 13 operating suites at ORMC
- Addition of 80 inpatient beds at WMCH (44 Med/Surg beds and 36 beds dedicated to orthopedic services)
- Addition of 70 inpatient beds at ORMC (34 beds dedicated to neuro services and a 36-bed cardiac unit)
- Expansion of Summerfield ER to 19 beds in 2019
- Addition of Maricamp ER in 2019 and Trailwinds Village ER in 2020 (24 total ED beds)
- Additional CV services at WMCH including the addition of a second cath lab as well as the addition of a dedicated 10-bed, pre-post cath lab recovery unit
“Our focus is centered on delivering best-in-class healthcare to the communities we serve. We continue to diversify, enhance and expand access to our services to provide the advanced and highly specialized healthcare our patients need and have come to expect from Ocala Health,” said Chad Christianson, CEO, Ocala Health. “As the regional comprehensive stroke center, and with cardiovascular services being a foundational service at Ocala Health, we remain committed to investing in state-of-the-art facilities. Our patients are at the center of everything we do; whether we’re adding capacity, services, or sites of care, each investment increases our ability to better care for our communities. We are proud to continue to be a provider of choice for thousands of individuals and families each year.”