After nearly six years with Ocala Health, five of those as CEO and one as CFO, Randy McVay has announced his retirement effective June 3, 2016. McVay has been at the helm of Ocala Health during the organization's most significant period of growth, overseeing capital investments by parent company HCA of nearly $120M.
"I am very proud of what we have accomplished at Ocala Health over the last several years and confident that the key initiatives currently in place will continue to contribute to our leadership position in the market. At this point, it is time for me to move to the next phase in life which includes focusing on my family and pursuing some personal projects," said McVay. "I have especially enjoyed working with such a dedicated leadership team and staff, medical staff and Board of Trustees, who have supported our efforts to transform Ocala Health into a high quality, comprehensive healthcare system. It is because of their commitment to quality care that we've been able to make such a positive impact in our community. They motivate and inspire me every day, making it a pleasure to serve with them."
Under McVay's leadership, Ocala Health experienced tremendous growth and success including:
- Planned expansion later this year of West Marion Community Hospital to include 44 additional patient beds, two new operating rooms, and nine ER exam rooms, representing a doubling of the facility's bed count since 2015
- Launch of a freestanding ER in Summerfield, with an opening date of late 2016
- 34-bed ICU expansion at Ocala Regional Medical Center, increasing the number of licensed beds from 200 to 222
- 24-bed expansion at West Marion Community Hospital, increasing the number of licensed beds from 70 to 94
- Opening of Cardiac Cath/Special Procedures Lab at West Marion Community Hospital
- Establishment of Ocala Regional Medical Center as Verified Level II Trauma Center
- Launch of graduate medical education residency programs in Internal Medicine and Family Medicine specialties
- Establishment of regional critical care transport service in collaboration with Marion County Fire Rescue
- Exterior renovation of Ocala Regional Medical Center to include expanded visitor parking and Emergency Services entrance
- Establishment of Ocala Health's Senior Wellness Community Center
- Acquisition of Family Care Specialists and Advanced Imaging Centers
McVay has more than 30 years of healthcare experience at both the corporate and hospital levels. He joined Ocala Health in August 2010 as Chief Financial Officer and added the interim Chief Executive Officer responsibilities in August 2011 with the retirement of Rex Etheredge. His prior experience includes serving in various corporate multi-facility financial leadership roles with LifePoint Health and Triad Hospitals, Inc. and from 1986 to 2005 was a hospital financial leader at various HCA operations.
McVay received his Bachelor of Business Administration degree from Marshall University and earned his Certified Public Accountant from the State of West Virginia.
"Randy has been an asset, not only to HCA, but also to Ocala Health and the Ocala community," said Michael P. Joyce, FACHE, President, HCA North Florida Division. "During Randy's tenure, Ocala Health has achieved key milestones and accomplishments. We truly appreciate all he has done, and he has our sincere thanks and gratitude. We wish him the very best as he moves to the next phase in his life."