Ocala Health System has been designated an Accredited Chest Pain Center by the Society of Chest Pain Centers (SCPC). Both Ocala Regional Medical Center (Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI) and West Marion Community Hospital (Accredited Chest Pain Center) received this distinction after an on-site evaluation August 27th.
SCPC's Chest Pain Center accreditation is for a three-year period and demonstrates that Ocala Health System has met or exceeded standards related to heart care in the following areas:
- Integrating the emergency department with local Emergency Medical Systems
- Emergency assessment, timely diagnosis, and treatment of patients with heart attack symptoms
- Ongoing improvement of all aspects of care for these cardiac patients
- Appropriate training and experience of physicians, nurses, technicians and other healthcare providers who care for these patients
- Administrative commitment to treating these patients and allocating resources to ensure continued improvement in patient care
- Functional design of the facility to facilitate prompt treatment
- Reaching out to the community on the signs and symptoms of a heart attack
“This is truly a significant event, not only for our hospitals but for the community as well,” said H. Rex Etheredge, Chief Executive Officer for Ocala Health System. “The hard work and commitment by a multi-disciplinary team of EMS, physicians and clinical staff affords us this accreditation and the ability to provide the best in cardiac care to our patients.”
About the Society of Chest Pain Centers (SCPC)
Established in 1998, SCPC is a patient-centric nonprofit international organization focused on improving care for patients with heart disease. Central to SCPC’s mission is the question, “What is right for the patient?” In response, SCPC promotes protocol-based medicine, often delivered through a chest pain center model, to address the diagnosis and treatment of acute coronary syndrome and heart failure and to promote the adoption of process improvement science by healthcare providers. To best fulfill this mission, SCPC provides accreditation and education to facilities striving for optimum cardiac care. SCPC is headquartered in Columbus, Ohio. For more information on SCPC and accreditation opportunities, visit www.scpcp.org, or call toll free (877) 271-4176.